Call for SNAP Submissions – 2018|Annual JCC Show
SNAP would like to invite each of you to submit entries for our annual JCC show, to be held at the Gordon Jewish Community Center (http://www.nashvillejcc.org/) on Percy Warner Blvd during the month of September. See more about eligibility below. This has traditionally been the major exhibition for SNAP each year, so we want to encourage everyone to participate.
Theme: There is no “theme” for this show, but the JCC can reject photos with images of full frontal nudity, violent subject matter, and religious symbolism. They are looking for “family friendly” images. Past shows have highlighted a broad variety of subjects and styles. For this show, the juror will be looking for photography that might be called “straight photography,” shot more from the heart than from the head.
Juror: The juror for this exhibit is Tamara Reynolds (https://tamarareynoldsphotography.com/), whose work has been published in national magazines and advertising campaigns. In 2017 she was awarded the MFA degree from Hartford University Photographic International Limited Residency Program. Her series, Southern Route, has been featured on Lenscratch, Bitter Southerner, NYTimes Lens Blog and PBS News Hour, among other recognitions. Tamara is one of the 50 artists included in the National Endowment for the Arts, and has a traveling exhibition opening in the fall of 2018 entitled Southbound and curated by Mark Sloan and Mark Long of Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art. Her most recent accolade is for “The Drake,” and she was recently awarded the prestigious 2018 Project Launch Grant.
- Deadline for submission: Wednesday, July 25th
- Notification of selections: ~early-August
- Selections brought to JCC, ready to hang: by 11:00 a.m., Tuesday August 31st
- Artists Reception: Wednesday Sept 5th, from 6:30 – 8:30
- Juror Critique: Tuesday, Sept 25th, regular SNAP Meeting, 6:30 – 8:00
- Selections picked up on Sunday, Sept 30th
Guidelines to submit your entries:
- This is open to SNAP members only.
It’s easy to become a SNAP Member: just attend a meeting and register at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtGlJ5lvyc5MdC1X4f5W2-nFNLY2vcs9CQLVmcO4otc We encourage everyone to participate!
- You may submit up to 5 entries.
- Naming of files: Please name each file using the following method:
– first initial + lastname _ JCC2018_+ entrynumber.jpg
– Example: Emily Passino’s first entry would be named: epassino_JCC2018_1.jpg
- Please submit all works as JPG files, with a minimum of 1024 pixels on the long side.
- Email all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Within 3 days after submitting you will receive an email confirmation. If you don’t, please email us and ask!
The accepted images should be a minimum of 11 x 14, or 11 x 11 square. (Framed out: 16 x 20 or equivalent for square). Black frames with white matting., and a wire across the back ready for hanging.
Other useful information:
The juror will select up to 40 images for the show.
JCC takes 35% of the sales price if a photograph is sold. They have a release form for each artist to sign, which we will send to those whose work is selected.
Venue: The exhibit will be at Gordon Jewish Community Center in the Janet Levine March Gallery and the adjoining JLMG2 gallery space.
Please refer to the SNAP website for more information www.snapnashville.org
Thank you all for your submissions and being part of another fantastic SNAP show!
Good luck and have fun!!