Call for SNAP Submissions – 2019|Annual JCC Show
SNAP would like to invite each of our active members to submit entries for our annual JCC show, to be held at the Gordon Jewish Community Center (http://www.nashvillejcc.org/) on Percy Warner Blvd during the month of October. See more about eligibility below. This has traditionally been a major exhibition for SNAP each year, so we want to encourage everyone to participate.
Theme: There is no “theme” for this show, but the JCC can reject photos with images of full-frontal nudity, violent subject matter, and religious symbolism. They are looking for “family friendly” images. Past shows have highlighted a broad variety of subjects and styles.
Juror: The juror for this show will be Shannon Randol, Assistant Professor at the MTSU Department of Media Arts. See https://www.shannonrandol.com for Shannon’s key recent projects and CV. Shannon sees photography as a means to seek an understanding of the world through images. Shannon brings to his practice 5 years of experience as an art reproduction specialist at Chromatics, and recently had work included in the Vestige photography show at David Lusk Gallery. As a juror, he will be looking for “images that express individual perspective and stimulate a viewer to stare a little longer.”
- Deadline for submission: Saturday August 31
- Notification of selections: Mid-September
- Selections brought to JCC, ready to hang: Wed Oct 2 (all day) or by 12:00 noon., Thursday Oct 3.
- Artists Reception: Wednesday, October 16, from 6:30 – 8:30
- Juror Critique: Tuesday, Oct 22nd, regular SNAP Meeting, 6:30 – 8:00
- Selections picked up on Wed, Oct 31
Guidelines to submit your entries:
- This is open to active SNAP members only.
It’s easy to become a SNAP Member: just attend a meeting and register at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtGlJ5lvyc5MdC1X4f5W2-nFNLY2vcs9CQLVmcO4otc. To maintain your status as an active member, you should have been able to come to at least one meeting in the past 12 months. We encourage everyone to participate in the meetings (the more the better, for us and your practice) and the calls for entry!
- You may submit up to 5 entries. The photos may have been captured using any photographic process and may be from any time period. Entries may have been submitted for earlier SNAP exhibits ONLY if they were not previously selected.
- Naming of files: Please name each file using the following method:— first initial + lastname _ JCC2019_+ entrynumber.jpg
— Example: Emily Passino’s first entry would be named: epassino_JCC2019_1.jpg
4. Please submit all works as JPG files, with a minimum of 2000 pixels on the long side.
5. Email all entries to email@example.com. Within 3 days after submitting you will receive an email confirmation. If you don’t, please email us and ask!
Preparing Images for Display:
The accepted images should be a minimum of 11 x 14, or 11 x 11 square. (Framed out: 16 x 20 or equivalent for square). Black frames with white matting., and a sturdy wire across the back ready for hanging. Unframed metal prints or acrylic prints are acceptable but must have either a wire across the back or a hook in the middle that will work with the JCC’s gallery system.
Other useful information:
The juror will select up to 40 images for the show.
JCC takes 35% of the sales price if a photograph is sold. They have a release form for each artist to sign, which we will send to those whose work is selected.
Venue: The exhibit will be at Gordon Jewish Community Center in the Janet Levine March Gallery and the adjoining JLMG2 gallery space.
Please refer to the SNAP website for more information www.snapnashville.org
Thank you all for your submissions and being part of another fantastic SNAP show!
Good luck and have fun!!
SNAP Exhibit Team