SNAP would like to invite each of our active members to submit entries for our annual JCC show, to be held at the Gordon Jewish Community Center on Percy Warner Blvd during the month of October. See more about eligibility below. Whether there will be a formal opening is not yet known, but this has traditionally been a major exhibition for SNAP each year, so we want to encourage everyone to participate.
Theme: There is no “theme” for this show, but the JCC can reject photos with images of full-frontal nudity, violent subject matter, and religious symbolism. Past shows have highlighted a broad variety of subjects and styles. See more about what our juror will be looking for below.
Juror: The juror for this show will be Katie Delmez, Curator at the Frist Museum, who has curated a number of outstanding shows, including Murals of North Nashville Now; We Shall Overcome: Civil Rights and the Nashville Press 1957-1968; Slavery, the Prison Industrial Complex: Photographs by Keith Calhoun and Chandra McCormick; Nick Cave: Feat.; and Carrie Mae Weems: Three Decades of Photography and Video. For her thoughts on recent projects, click here.
Katie sees photography as a means of understanding the social and cultural aspects of the world. As a juror, she will be looking in particular for “images that reflect this historic moment that we are living through: we see people devastated by a tornado, pandemic, and systemic inequalities while also coming together as communities of strength.”
• Deadline for submission: Saturday August 29
• Notification of selections: Mid-September
• Selections brought to JCC, ready to hang: Thurs October 1st (all day) or by noon Fri October 2nd. • Artists Reception: TBD
• Juror Critique: Tuesday, Oct 27nd, regular SNAP Meeting, 6:30 – 8:00
• Selections picked up on Sunday November 1st.
Guidelines to submit your entries:
1. This is open to active SNAP members only.
It’s easy to become a SNAP Member: just attend a meeting and register at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtGlJ5lvyc5MdC1X4f5W2-nFNLY2vcs9CQLVmcO4otc. To maintain your status as an active member, you should have been able to come to at least one meeting in the past 12 months – including a Zoom(!). We encourage everyone to participate in the meetings (the more the better, for us and your practice) as well as the calls for entry!
- You may submit up to 5 entries. The photos may have been captured using any photographic process and may be from any time period. Entries may have been submitted for earlier SNAP exhibits ONLY if they were not previously selected.
- Naming of files: Please name each file using the following method: Firstname Lastname _ Title_ JCC2020.jpg
Example: Tommy Cool-Photographer_Very Splendid Photo_JCC2020.jpg Your name will be stripped from the file name for the juror and substituted with a number.
The juror will see the title. Be sure to have the underscore between your last name, and the title. Use “Untitled” sparingly!
- Please submit all works as JPG files, with a minimum of 2000 pixels on the long side.
- Email all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Within 3 days after submitting you will receive an email confirmation. If you don’t, please email us and ask!
Preparing Images for Display:
The accepted images should be a minimum of 11 x 14, or 11 x 11 square. (Framed out: 16 x 20 or equivalent for square). Black frames with white matting., and a sturdy wire across the back ready for hanging. Unframed metal prints or acrylic prints are acceptable but must have either a wire across the back or a hook in the middle that will work with the JCC’s gallery system.
Other useful information:
The juror will select up to 40 images for the show.
JCC takes 35% of the sales price if a photograph is sold. They have a release form for each artist to sign, which we will send to those whose work is selected.
Venue: The exhibit will be at Gordon Jewish Community Center in the Janet Levine March Gallery and the adjoining JLMG2 gallery space. Address: 801 Percy Warner Blvd, Nashville 37205.
Please refer to the SNAP website for more information http://www.snapnashville.org Thank you all for your submissions and being part of another fantastic SNAP show!
Good luck and have fun!! SNAP Exhibit Team