Call for SNAP Submissions –“Portals and Passageways”
SNAP invites each of you who are currently active members to submit entries for our first 2020 show around the theme of “Portals and Passageways,” to be held April-June 2020 at the Scarritt Bennett Center. Be sure and read the description carefully to see more about the theme and what the juror is looking for with this show. Also pay attention to the dates!!
Juror: The juror for this show will be Katie (Boatman) Mitchell, a practicing artist and Lecturer & Director of Galleries at Belmont University’s O’More College of Architecture, Art & Design. See www.Katie-Boatman.com for Katie’s key recent projects and CV.
Katie sees photography as a boundless and vastly accessible medium that inspires the reflection of our daily perceptions. Katie has run the Leu Art Gallery and Gallery 121 since 2014, curating a program that offers a rich and diverse understanding of the arts. As a juror, she will be looking for “images that fully embrace space and atmosphere to lead the viewer down a path of self-discovery.”
Venue: Scarritt Bennett Center, Laskey Gallery ,1027 18th South, Nashville, TN 37212 (https://www.scarrittbennett.org/campus-map/
Theme: “Portals and Passageways.” Photographs selected for this exhibit will explore the nuances of portals. Doors, gates, openings, passages or connections between places or moments. Images can range from identifiable objects (doors, gates, play of light) to subliminal abstract images reflecting the photographer’s interpretation of the theme. Images may include a human element as well, perhaps people in transit/on a journey/ on the cusp of change.
The intention of this show is to explore transitions between space and time, with thresholds that may be concrete or implied. It is expected that certain compositional elements (light, shadow, shapes, lines) will reinforce the idea of the passageway as experienced by individuals and cultures.
· Deadline for submission: WED, Feb 26, 8:00 pm
· Notification of selections: Early March
· Selections brought to SBC, ready to hang: WED April 1st by 12:00 noon.
· <<new>> Hanging of prints: afternoon of Wed April 1st. Please note, Kay Ramming will need several volunteers to help with this!! More information when selections are announced.
· Artists Reception: April 6, 4:30-6:30
· Juror talk to SNAP meeting: April 28 at 6:30p at our usual meeting time/place @TECA
· Unsold pieces to be picked up: Late June (details to be settled later)
Guidelines to submit your entries:
1. This is open to active SNAP members only.
It’s easy to become a SNAP Member: just attend a meeting and register at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtGlJ5lvyc5MdC1X4f5W2-nFNLY2vcs9CQLVmcO4otc. To maintain your status as an active member, you should have been able to come to at least one meeting in the past 12 months. We encourage everyone to participate in the meetings (the more the better, for us and your practice) and the calls for entry!
2. You may submit up to 5 entries.
The photos may have been captured using any photographic process and may be from any time period.
Entries may have been submitted for earlier SNAP exhibits ONLY if they were not previously selected.
Keep in mind the venue is a public space, with patrons of all ages and sensibilities.
3. Naming of files:
Example: Emily Passino’s first entry would be named: epassino_portals1.jpg
4. Please submit all works as JPG files, with a minimum of 2000 pixels on the long side.
Email all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should get confirmation within 3 days after submitting. If you don’t, please email us and ask!
Other useful information:
· The juror will select up to 30 images for the show. The initial selection will be reviewed by the venue, who will work with the juror to replace any that are not appropriate for the venue.
· Framing details upon selection but the smallest framed-out size will be 16 x 20, or 16 x 16.
|· All work, unless indicated as NFS (not for sale) will be available for sale during the exhibit with SBC retaining 25% of the sales price. Please refer to the SNAP website for more information www.snapnashville.org|
Thank you all for your submissions and being part of another fantastic SNAP show!
Good luck and have fun!!
SNAP EXHIBIT TEAM